Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Extinct

I want to preface this blog by saying that it is not warm and fuzzy, it’s not funny… but it’s me… and since this blog is about me… it’s what you’re getting this time…

Recently a video circulated Facebook in which a young man tells the story of encountering his rapist as “someone you might know” on Facebook.  He talks about the feeling of panic and trauma as he clicks on the profile where he instantly has access to personal details he didn't have before.  The pain that occurs as he sees that his life has continued on… that he is well-liked, and beyond that… they have friends in common. 
He then talks about the pain and judgement he received by friends, family, and even law enforcement when he revealed what had happened to him.  That ever so often question asked, “Why didn't you fight back?”  He concludes by saying that this is him fighting back.

I watched this video through tears as I recalled encountering my rapist on Facebook for the first time… and then seeing that several people who not only did I know, but knew well, were “friends” with him.  Once I got over the shock I pep talked myself back to … this doesn't define me…  I am not less of a person because of what happened… which worked fine….

Until last Sunday…

The boys desperately wanted to go to the park and wanted me to take them to one dad had taken them to.  So as Nicholas started to give me directions as we headed on our way, a sinking feeling took over.  Of course they wanted to go to THAT park… THAT park that I have so successfully avoided because THAT HOUSE sits directly across the street. 

I knew I was going to have to make a decision very quickly… come up with some quick excuse why we couldn't go there… or… face the fear, trauma, and memory which to that day I hadn't been able to do.
As we pulled into the park I started to sweat, shake, feel nauseous and I’m sure looked like I was going to be sick because Nicholas said to me “mom are you ok?”  I nodded and quickly corralled the kids out of the car and toward the playground.  I put in my headphones hoping that the distraction of music would help me in conquering what was starting to feel like a mountain I wasn't prepared to climb. 

Taking deep breaths I found a spot under a tree facing THAT HOUSE and closed my eyes as an eerie version of Lord Byron’s “She Walks in Beauty” (which happens to be one of my favorites) filled my ears.

I wish I could tell you that I was instantly “healed” or that all of my anxiety went away and I’m a changed woman.
  
I can’t. 

But what I can tell you is… something about that song, at that place, on that day, at that time… brought me peace.  It wasn't surreal, it wasn't profound… but it was peace.  

Will I still probably avoid that park… yes... (thankfully they both decided there were other more fun parks to play at…. With very “little prompting” from me J)

And when we got in the car… THAT HOUSE just looked sad, and found a place in my memory that no longer claims something over me outwardly. 

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellowed to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

No comments:

Post a Comment